Ara.T.Howard wrote:

>>So, it looks like the YAML emitter needs to be optimized.  The write
>>operation is what is consuming time.  Right now, the YAML emitter consists
>>largely of Ruby code.  I'll comb through it today and see what I can find.
>>

>i don't know if i'd say that - it's perfectly acceptable (to me at least) that
>a text serialization format is simply not suitable for such tasks... it's
>still great for all sorts of other things.

Yeah.  I want Syck to be running in the vicinity of 1/3 of Marshal's
speed and the bytecode to run at neck-and-neck.  I stopped working on
YAML's emitter because I ran out of ideas for it.  But I have some
improvements in mind now that a few months has passed since it was
originally puzzling me.

For example, all the BaseEmitter code can now be moved into the
extension.  And I'll bet a big ugly bug 'll fly right out when I crack
it open.

_why