On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:10:19 -0400, Mike Rhodes wrote:

> I recently bought "Programming Ruby" and set out to learn the language
> through sheer force of will and determination, but I have to admit that
> I just can't keep up... I'm way behind the book conceptually. As a
> self-taught programmer with no computer science background, where
> should I turn to "prelearn" ruby? I have taught myself shell scripting
> and AWK, but I have no background in larger programming concepts. I am
> considering the book mentioned in "Programming Ruby" ("Object Oriented
> Software Construction" by Bertrand Meyer) but that seems like a lot to
> absorb just to get started with a new programming language. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Hi,

There is a nice tutorial for nonprogrammers at
<http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/>
You can probably skip the first chapters, since you
already know some programming.
I think Ruby is the best way to learn Object Oriented
programming, because you can see how it works for yourself,
rather than banging some abstract terminology in you head.
(I haven't read this book though).

Regards,

Kristof