On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, W. Kent Starr wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, David Alan Black wrote:
>
> > I have to admit that I haven't kept up with the culture of slashdot,
> > so I'm not in a good position to know how worthwhile the exposure is
> > in exchange for yet another barrage of not very knowledgeable (as
> > regards Ruby) Perl-conformity tests.  It still bugs me.  Someone
> > reading this:
> >

> It was Distaeli, I believe (could have been Gladstone, I get them mixed up) who
> remarked "There are lies, damned lies...and statistics." The truth is, it is
> very difficult to write a truly objective benchmarking routine across various
> platforms/languages/whatever even to run under ideal 'laboratory' conditions.

[interesting remarks on benchmarking snipped]

I agree re benchmarking, though by "Perl-conformity tests" I meant the
kinds of comments that hold Ruby accountable for how well it does or
does not duplicate Perl at the levels of syntax and language design.
(See [ruby-talk:9987] for elaboration.)

(Hey, we're closing in on 10K!)

David

--