On Monday, May 10, 2004, 8:43:57 PM, Ryan wrote, in part:

> I am looking for:
>     - examples of tangible features that ruby has, which python doesnt.
>     - examples of scenarios where some facet of, or property specific to
>     ruby contributed to the simplification or improvement of a programming
>     project.
>     - facets of the language which may not necessarily be useful, but are
>     notably creative/innovative.

I suggest you take a look at http://phrogz.net/ProgrammingRuby.  It's
a high-quality dead-tree textbook that's freely readable online.  It
assumes some decent background knowledge, which you obviously have.
The preface and the first couple of chapters will tell you most of
what you want to know, and from there you can pick out more advanced
things if you wish.

I certainly welcome discussions about particular features, but direct
Python/Ruby comparisons are very common on this list and almost always
generate more heat than light.  That's despite the best of intentions.
The reality is that it's hard to think outside your own
experience/background.  There's no quick answer to your questions, as
I have found in the past.  For the curious, learning Ruby is extremely
worthwhile, even if you never write a line of code in it.  You *will*
learn some novel approaches, no matter what your background, as Ruby
draws from many languages.

But like I say, there's no shortcut.  If you spend an hour or so
reading the material in "Programming Ruby" (known fondly as "The
Pickaxe"), then you will understand much better where Ruby is coming
from and will (hopefully) start to appreciate some of its distinctive
features.

All the best,
Gavin