I know Python only very cursory so I can't comment very well on the
comparison.  Some points strike me though:

"Ryan Paul" <segphault / sbcglobal.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:pan.2004.05.10.10.37.41.800624 / sbcglobal.net...
> i'm a python programmer, and I have recently been hearing a lot about
> ruby. A lot of python people seem to think ruby is in some way inferior,
> but I have yet to find any significant differences between the
languages.
> The only differences I have found so far have been superficial syntactic
> things. The only real significant difference I have detected, is the
> absence of a module system in ruby.

Maybe you overlooked that: there are modules in Ruby (which can be used
standalone as well as for mixin inheritance):

file foo.rb:

module Foo
  def self.fact(n)
    f = 1
    for i in 2..n
      f *= i

file bar.rb:

require 'foo'
puts( Foo.fact( 10 ) )

For mixin look that documentation / usage of Enumerable.

> I would like to be able to make an objective and educated comparison.
Ruby
> seems to have a relatively small, but intensely devoted following.
> Software that inspires such fervent support from a small community
usually
> possesses tremendous power that most people are just too dense to
discern
> (eg: ocaml, and BeOS). Consequently, I figured it would be worth my time
> to find out what it is that the fanatics find appealing.
>
> I am looking for:
>     - examples of tangible features that ruby has, which python doesnt.
>     - examples of scenarios where some facet of, or property specific to
>     ruby contributed to the simplification or improvement of a
programming
>     project.
>     - facets of the language which may not necessarily be useful, but
are
>     notably creative/innovative.
>
> Additionally, I realize that there is more to a language than its syntax
> and functionality. As a result, I am also interested in hearing about
> facets of the ruby community and ruby ideology, and anything else that
> ruby programmers feel contribute to their affinity for the language.
>
> I have a feeling that most of the things that make ruby worth using can
> also be found in python. From the perspective a python programmer who
has
> taken only a precursory glance at ruby, it looks like ruby suggests a
> functional style, while python suggests an imperative style.

Here I'd say Ruby suggests an OO style.

One of the best things about Ruby is the block concept.  Dunno whether
Python supports something similar.

def foo
  100.times do |i|
    yield i

foo do |x|
  puts x
end

s = 0
foo {|y| s += y}
puts s

> It also looks
> like ruby may be better suited for quick shell scripts, whereas python
is
> better suited for bigger programs. I realize that I probably suffer from
> misconceptions, and i'm looking forward to having them corrected.

You probably derived that from the assumed fact of lacking module support.
In fact, Ruby is not suited for big programs because it makes writing big
programs hard by being concise and to the point.  Often you need less code
than with other languages. :-)  Dunno how Ruby compares to Python in this
aspect.

> I sincerely hope nobody finds any of my comments offensive, I dont mean
> them as criticisms of ruby. I intentionally withhold criticisms until I
am
> better versed in the benefits!

No offense taken.

Regards