In article <4e20d3f.0405070707.96af5a2 / posting.google.com>,
	quirk / syntac.net (Quirk) writes:
> "Volker Hetzer" <volker.hetzer / ieee.org> wrote in message news:<c7fl8s$bjo$1 / nntp.fujitsu-siemens.com>...
>
>> "Quirk" <quirk / syntac.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4e20d3f.0405070046.50c2d5dd / posting.google.com...

[stuff snipped]

>> > if you contract an
>> > outside developer or licence an existing product, fine, as long as you
>> > have perpetual access to the source code and the *right* to modify it,
>> > or contract someone else to. If you do not, than you can not gaurantee
>> > the permenance of your application.
>
>> When will you get it, I don't *need* the right to modify it as long as I
>> have the right to have it modified by the guys who wrote it in the first plac
>> and are competent at it.
> ?
> You have no such right, ever, the only right you _can_ have is the
> right to modify it yourself or contract someone to do it. Please read
> your licence.

Got a news flash for ya...

If you have a maintenance contract with a vendor and something of
theirs' is broken, they must fix it if you need it.  I know this
because it happend to us recently at work.  We found something broken
it a version of a prticular commercial RDBMS that had been fixed in a
later release, but due to customer requirements we cannot yet upgrade
to that version (i.e., the customer is unwilling to pay for it at this
time).  The vendor didn't want to fix it but because the customer is
paying them beaucoup bucks for a maintance contract we demanded that
they do so.  They did and supplied us with the necessary patch.

The only way you can get that kind of support is with a maintance
contract.  With Open Source we'd have had to spend many extra
man-hours trying to find where the problem was and how to fix it
without breaking anything else.  And we didn't hace the time to fool
with such nonsense as this occurred in a production application that
had to be up 24x7x365.

--
Ed. Hillman
Signature?!?  I don't need no stinking signature!!