James Britt <jamesUNDERBARb / neurogami.com> wrote in message news:<409A3F01.6070302 / neurogami.com>...
> About a month ago I interviewed a number of candidates for a Java
> developer position.

James... dude... why do you never call me when these things come up?
A month ago I was sitting here, on the couch watching endless "Buffy"
DVDs from NetFlix, eating bon-bons and busily being unemployed.

<sob> Don't you love me anymore?!?

> Aside from the usual tech questions, I asked them what they didn't like
> about the language.  Most of them had a hard time thinking of anything.

Oh, heck... I was a shoe-in for that job.  I could have given you an
earful. ;-)

> And this is not a jab at Java; I would think that anybody deeply
> familiar with a language would have a few things things they disliked
> about it, even if, on the whole, they loved the language.

Good point.  So, I hereby proclaim this the first annual J.B. Ruby
Roast.  Come on, cough up.  What don't you like about Ruby?

I'll start it off with my favorite: the missing type checker.  I'd
like "-c" to also check types, as much as it can.  It should be
doable, too; Ruby will never be strongly typed, but it should be
possible to Duck-check the Duck-types in a large number of cases.

--- SER