gabriele renzi <surrender_it / remove.yahoo.it> wrote in message news:<crqk90p59cb75ge8kna8fnmk6kv7rl28kp / 4ax.com>...
> that is a nice idea, But I wonder: what could be distilled in this
> 'selling rubys' project that could not be done via ruby-lang.org or
> rubygarden ?

There are a couple of things missing that I think they're trying to
address.  One of them is a professional, slick slideshow presentation
(with presentation notes) discussing Ruby's advantages in clear
language.  For maximum effectiveness, it would also honestly list
Ruby's weaknesses, too -- when not to use Ruby.

I think this is a good idea, although I have my doubts about how
effective a one-size-fits-all approach to presentations is.  At the
very least, you'd need different presentations; you wouldn't give the
same presentation to a VP, to a manager, to a tech lead, to a
salesperson, and to a developer.  They'll each want different levels
of detail, different language, and will be motivated by different
aspects.  One of the rules of selling any product is to pick one idea,
and focus on it.  More importantly, successfull presentations are
tailored to their audience.  If you're in the pharmaceuticals
industry, you'll use different vocabulary and different examples than
if you were giving the presentation to a group of people from the
automotive industry.  Heck, you'll pitch it differently if you're
pitching to Java people than if you were pitching to C people.

Still, it is a worthy pursuit.

--- SER