On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 06:52:40AM +0900, Chad Fowler wrote:
> You could actually use RubyGems to create a distro like this.   There's
> no reason you can't create a "super gem" that does nothing but list
> dependencies.  So, for example, you could create a package for your
> favorite XML tools and call it hubbart-xml.   All it would do is depend
> on all of the gems (including versions, if you like) that you want to
> include, and those would be auto-installed when you install
> hubbart-xml.  Then, of course, you could package several such meta-gems
> into a "super gem", say "hubbart-big-enchilada" that would cause all of
> your favorite stuff to get installed with the simple command:

Dude, you're describing how Debians apt system works. ;)

Which reminds me. As much as CPAN and RubyGems are nice, they doesn't
interact too well with the packagemanagers on Linux. Or rather, at
all. Anyone working on this?

As far as I know, on Debian it should be possible for RubyGems to
generate and inject a stub package that allows one to apt-get
update/remove the gem, if it was installed as root.

--
Thomas
beast / system-tnt.dk