On 30/4/2004, at 7:35 PM, Mark Hubbart wrote:

> [snip]
>> You could actually use RubyGems to create a distro like this.
>> There's no reason you can't create a "super gem" that does nothing
>> but list dependencies.  So, for example, you could create a package
>> for your favorite XML tools and call it hubbart-xml.   All it would
>> do is depend on all of the gems (including versions, if you like)
>> that you want to include, and those would be auto-installed when you
>> install hubbart-xml.  Then, of course, you could package several such
>> meta-gems into a "super gem", say "hubbart-big-enchilada" that would
>> cause all of your favorite stuff to get installed with the simple
>> command:
>>
>> gem -Ri hubbart-big-enchilada
>>
>> or (if you distributed the gem file):
>>
>> ruby hubbart-big-enchilada-1.0.0.gem
>>
>> Chad
>
> The installer that I'm thinking of would install Ruby itself, and
> extra libraries, not just extensions. I think that a sort of meta-gem
> that only has dependencies could easily be a part of it, though...
> after installing ruby, rubygems, some gui toolkits, etc, it could run
> a gem that installs some important development items like RedCloth,
> etc...

Yes, this makes sense.  I was thinking you could make a distribution
that has Ruby, RubyGems, and a mega-gem that would cause everything
else to be installed.

> I didn't get the idea that rubygems would ever be something that you
> would use to install anything other than ruby libraries, but maybe I
> was mistaken?

Ruby libraries and ruby applications but probably not anything else
(though you could definitely use the code to create any kind of
fetcher/installer/dependency manager you like).

Chad