On Sat, 1 May 2004 09:14:06 +0900, Neil Hodgson <nhodgson / bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Its Me:
>
> > (2)--------- Multiple buffers/files
> > Probably ignorance on my part. I have only been able to view one
> file/butter
> > at a time in a Scite window; so I have to open multiple Scite windows
> > instead. I would really like to be able to split the window (horizontally
> or
> > vertically) and see more than one buffer.
>
> his is a fairly core restriction: while SciTE can have multiple files
> loaded at once and can display tabs to switch between them, there is no way
> to see the contents of more than one file at at time. I am unlikely to agree
> to lifting this restriction as I want SciTE to remain simple. For more
> complex tasks, a more featureful application would be a better fit. If
> others wish to start a project that adds multiple views to an extended
> version of SciTE then I'll try to help out so that they can continue to
> benefit from enhancements to my version of SciTE.
>
> or Ruby development, I feel you are much better off with an application
> designed around the needs of Ruby including integration of debugging, use of
> Ruby-compatible regular expressions, and an understanding of the files that
> make up a Ruby project and the links between them. It would be a good idea
> to develop such an application in a sensible high level language like Python
> ;-) rather than C++. FreeRIDE seems to be on the right track.
>
> eil

Perhaps this can be tackled from a different angle:
(Disclaimer - I have little experience in windowing systems, so I'm
not sure about the feasibility of embedding an external application in
a window widget - but I'll just let my imagination run wild this one
time ;-) )
You can have multiple SciTE windows open... So instead of modifying
SciTE to provide two buffers, ould an application wrapper be written
to open two SciTE windows and place them in a split frame? That is,
embedding two SciTE instances in one window. Then you'd have the best
of both worlds - SciTE remains simple, and you have your two open
buffers which you can see at the same time. Again, this is just a
crazy idea of mine... I don't guarantee that it works or even that
it's feasible. Cheers