Mark Hubbart wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2004, at 1:15 PM, Curt Hibbs wrote:
>
> > I don't want to mislead you here -- the Ruby Installer project *is* the
> > Windows Installer, and  what is currently there is completely windows
> > specific. But I want to see it expand in scope to encompass other
> > platforms.
> > This may (or may not) end up being separate code-bases maintained
> > under the
> > umbrella of the "Ruby Installer" project.
> >
> > But in order for that to happen someone would have to step up and take
> > on
> > the task of championing one or more additional platforms.
>
> I understood that. previously I had thought that the focus of the
> project was narrower than it was; but if there is some existing code
> that can be reused, and the project maintainers are open to adding more
> supported platforms, I would happily start with the windows installer
> and make it work for macs. As long as it isn't too much more work than
> starting from scratch :)

I'm one of the maintainers, and as I said it is currently a windows-only
product. But I like to see it expand to cover more platforms.

There are two parts, there is the build system that constructs a custom ruby
distribution, and then there is the piece that creates a runnable installer
that knows how to install the distribution created by the first step.

Parts of the build system could be reusable for another platform. But for
the installer, we are using an open source installer for Windows (NSIS).
This, obviously, would not work for other platforms.

Curt