"Ara.T.Howard" <ahoward / fattire.ngdc.noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 May 2004, Simon Strandgaard wrote:
[snip]
> > I don't know if all this rethinking __FILE__/$0 makes sense..
>
> i think it makes perfect sense to have
>
>   __FILE__    => absolute path of script file
>   __PROGRAM__ => absolute path of called program
>   __RUBY__    => absolute path of ruby interp running called program
>   __DIR__     => absolute directory of file (can use for relative requires)
>
> it's always easy get a relative path from an absolute one, but not the other
> way!

This was what I wanted to express, though I could not write it in such a striking
sentence  :-)

I don't know what is right nor wrong...

Maybe make __FILE__ a class with a one useful method, #standalone?
So that instead of 'if $0 == __FILE__' you can type 'if __FILE__.standalone?'

Maybe make a System class, containing a $0 replacement?

What does other languages do ?

--
Simon Strandgaard