Hello all,

We have just released another alpha of the RubyGems package manager.
It's been too long since the last release, but not for lack of work
going on.  We've got a bunch of new features, a significant amount of
cleanup, and possibly a few new bugs (but we hope not).  Your
experience reports during this alpha phase are much appreciated.  The
first release brought in a lot of gems, a good number of patches, and
some very insightful ideas about RubyGems' design and functionality
(some of which remain unresolved).  The more the merrier.

Here's a dump from the release notes:

Release 0.3.0: April 30, 2004
   * Creation of Application Gems (packages that include executable
programs).  See
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?DeveloperGuide for
information on how to use it.
   * Basic functionality for installing binary gems from source
(:extensions property of gem specification holds an array of paths to
extconf.rb files to be used for compilation)
   * Install library "stub" allowing a normal 'require' to work (which
then does the rubygems require and 'require_gem'
   * --run-tests runs the test suite specified by the "test_suite_file"
property of a gem specification
   * HTTP Proxy support is verified to work.  Full rewrite of HTTP code
for remote installation.
   * Cleanup of command-line arguments and handling.  Most commands
accept a --local or --remote modifier.
   * Unit and functional tests added (see Rakefile).
   * Prompt before remote-installing dependencies during gem
installation.
   * Config file for storing preferences for 'gem' command usage.
   * Generally improved error messages (still more work to do)
   * Rearranged gem directory structure for cleanliness.

We have ever-growing documentation at
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl and an ever growing pool of
gems at http://gems.rubyforge.org/.

Keep those gems coming!  Rich is soon going to turn on a script that
auto-deploys gems that are released on RubyForge into the gem
repository (so they will be automatically available for automated
remote installation).

Let us know on the RubyGems mailing list if you have problems or ideas
(http://rubyforge.org/mail/?group_id=126)

Thanks,
Chad