Mark Hubbart wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2004, at 7:35 AM, Mike Calder wrote:
>
> > A word of warning from a potential friend.  Please don't take this
> > negatively,
> > because I think you have something, and I'd like to help.  If you can
> > read
> > through to the end, there's a modest proposal.
> [snip!!!]
>
> I very much agree with you.
>
> Regarding packaging: It would be nice if there was a simple way to
> build ruby in a way that would be nice for packaging it up. I've been
> gestating a project idea in my head for a while now, for a package
> building system for Ruby on Mac OS X; It would have functions for
> downloading various source packages, building them, and packaging them
> up in a native installer. There would be options for packaging up Ruby
> with WXWidgets, Fox, Tk, GraphicsMagick, etc... This would make it
> simple for someone to make the latest version of Ruby available to the
> Mac OS X public. I would assume that most of the work would be in
> getting the thing working; it could then be ported to other platforms
> by adding installer package formats.
>
> Anyone want to help with that? :) I need to get on the stick and
> produce something on that.

You should consider joining existing projects that are already working on
these problems.

For example, the RubyGems project is all about packaging up Ruby libraries
and applications and installing them from remote or local repositories in a
manner that is dead simple. It can install packages that are pure Ruby,
binary Ruby extensions, and it can build and install extensions from source.
See:

  http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/

Then there is the Ruby Installer project. This project is all about creating
self-installing pre-packaged Ruby runtimes that include Ruby, useful tools,
and best-of-breed libraries. At the moment it only includes an installer for
Windows, but I'd like to expand this to include other platforms (we just
need some interested Rubyists to sign up to work on the other platforms).
See:

  http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/

And there is the wxRuby project (since you mentioned wxWidgets), that is
providing Ruby bindings to wxWidgets. In binary versions, includes a
pre-built wxWidgets binary along with the Ruby wrappers. See:

  http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/

The reason I point all of this out is because all of these projects rely on
volunteers like you and me to make progress. And, obviously, we can do a lot
more if we work together rather than duplicate efforts.

Of course, if you've got an itch that just cannot be scratched by any of
these existing projects, then...

Curt