On 2004 Apr 30, at 12:04, Ara.T.Howard wrote:

> i think it makes perfect sense to have
>
>   __FILE__    => absolute path of script file
>   __PROGRAM__ => absolute path of called program
>   __RUBY__    => absolute path of ruby interp running called program
>   __DIR__     => absolute directory of file (can use for relative
> requires)
>
> it's always easy get a relative path from an absolute one, but not the
> other
> way!

Then $0 would need to be absolute too.

So the question is, would, could switching the default $0 setting and
__FILE__ to absolute paths break existing programs?

Are there Windows considerations that could cause problems? Cygwin?
MinGW?

I'm considering writing up an RCR, but before I put Matz and myself
through all that, I want to make sure we're not wasting time.

--
Ryan "John" Platte
Custom services, NIKA Consulting