Dan Doel wrote:
> I'm not saying the topic isn't appropriate. I don't mind the topic, and I find
> comparisons between languages interesting, and enjoy reading them. But,
> looking around at ruby talk, I found clear Python vs. Ruby threads fom:

> Apr 26, 2004 (this one)
>
> Mar 28, 2004
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/95984
>
> Feb  1, 2004
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/91151
>
> I don't know that Python and Ruby change so fast that they need to be
> discussed anew every month.

That was my motivation for assembling this page a few months ago:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/RubyEyeForThePythonGuy.html

This topic is a permathread, and while it is relevant and interesting,
it is also, for many people on this list, all too familiar.  I think
most people can learn what they want to know by following the links on
that page and reading the previous mailing list discussions, both here
and on comp.lang.python.

 > I just think that maybe it'd be good to gather together some stuff
 > from the  archives and elsewhere so that "the answer" can just be
 > referenced. It'd cut  down on the "Python is less OO than Ruby." "No
 > it's not, and besides Ruby is  less functional." "No it's not..."

Such pages have existed for some time now, but the people creating and
perpetuating this discussion are, by and large, newcomers who haven't
bothered to (or don't care to) look for such resources.

James