On 2004 Apr 30, at 9:39, Robert Klemme wrote:

>> I see Perl uses relative paths for both __FILE__ and $0...and since a
>> lot of Ruby scripts use "if __FILE__ == $0", those two should keep
>> following the same policy. So I don't expect that behavior to change
>> for my odd little case.
>
> .... or operators are overloaded to ensure proper behavior.

I can't imagine that would lead to increased predictability!

On this topic, however, it'd be nice to have a method like
this_file_invoked? that encapsulated the $0 == __FILE__ idiom.

>> Surely there's an existing solution to this within Ruby or Perl or
>> some
>> other language?
>
> See my other post:
>
> # at the top of script
> FILE = File.expand_path( __FILE __ )

Yes, that snippet was a workaround I was thanking you for, but I don't
consider it a solution to the problem:

it seems we can't determine the absolute path of __FILE__ correctly
after a chdir without having planned for that eventuality before the
chdir.

Can someone solve that one?

--
Ryan "John" Platte