"Simon Strandgaard" <neoneye / adslhome.dk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:20040430124420.2f2b621b.neoneye / adslhome.dk...
> "Robert Klemme" <bob.news / gmx.net> wrote:
> > "Simon Strandgaard" <neoneye / adslhome.dk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > >
> > > Maybe extend __FILE__ with a #absolute  method,
> > > in order to make __FILE__ immune against chdir ?
> >
> > This is easily fixed:
> >
> > FILE = File.expand_path __FILE__
> > p [__FILE__, FILE]
>
> Not if the person has done a chdir just before expand_path.

Well, I should've written "first line in script".

> I wonder why __FILE__ isn't an absolute path. Relative paths is
> just too fragile.
>

> Proposal:  make __FILE__ an absolute path.
> That would make __FILE__ robust to Dir.chdir.
>

> Any thoughts on this proposal?   fore or against

Slightly against, because

- it's easily fixed

- you loose information: there might be situations where the script wants
to know the exact path it was invoked with.

- most of the time (when invoked from the shell via path expansion)
scripts are invoked with an absolute path anyway.

Kind regards

    robert