From: Austin Ziegler [mailto:austin / halostatue.ca]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 7:35 AM
To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
Subject: Re: How to get homedir ?

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:14:03 +0900, gabriele renzi wrote:
> il Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:38:55 +0200, "Florent 'flure' C."
> <flurePASDESPAM / freePASDESPAM.fr> ha scritto::
>> I'm writing an app in ruby/glade and I want to save the configuration
>> and some data in the directory of the user.
>> There is the function g_get_home_dir() in the GLib, but I can't find
>> the way to call it from ruby :(
>> Also I need it to function on GNU/Linux, Windows, and hopefully MacOS X.
> well, ENV['HOME'] works fine on my windows box and linux one

If the Glade g_get_home_dir() call works on both Linux, Windows, and MacOS
X, then you could use Ruby/DL to do that.

ENV['HOME'] does NOT work on Windows, by default. This is something that was

discussed not too long ago; I was having problems getting to
www.ruby-talk.org yesterday, but I recommend searching for this on the list
-- there is a Win32 API that you can call to get this information.

-austin
--
austin ziegler    * austin / halostatue.ca * Toronto, ON, Canada
                                         * 07.32.12