On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Stephan Kš╬per wrote:

> Hi.
>
> dhtapp wrote:
> > I've decided it's time to do a Nuke-and-Pave on my XP box.  I'm about to
> > attempt my very first Linux installation.
>
> Welcome!
>
> > I have some experience as a user of both Solaris and Mac OS/X, but I've
> > never attempted to set up or administer such a machine.  (Well, I set up Mac
> > OS/X, but that's about as tough as plugging in a toaster.)
>
> > Since Ruby is one of the two principal reasons for having a machine (Java
> > being the other), I'm looking for any advisements, starting with "It doesn't
> > work on SuSE, you dolt!" and getting more detailed from there.
>
> Ruby is built 'on and for' Linux (as far as I know), so I wouldn't
> expect any serious problems.
> I run and build (well built, actually - I don't do it every day ;-) Ruby
> on a SuSE 9.0 system without any problems.

And SuSE are even kind enough to package Ruby as part of the distribution.
Sure, they're still using a 1.6 release, but the maintainers have been
very receptive to feedback ("please please please build with readline
support installed" "sure thing- here you go").

Cheers,
Mike
--
Mike Z <zofa / wyer.org> - it's an apathy thing