--OBd5C1Lgu00Gd/Tn

Ken Hilton (kenosis / comcast.net) wrote:

> Ruby 1.8.1 from Pragmatic Programmers installable, w/problem
> duplicated in Win2000 and WinXP - I'm stumped.

Yep, #gets always blocks win32.

This was a problem with the DRb examples, and most of them have been
changed to use DRb.thread.join rather than #gets.

Unfortunately, this is rather useless if you want to use #gets for
actual input.

My untested attempt at a solution is "try non-blocking IO".  (I don't
have a windows box to play with at the moment, and it is my bedtime.)

> > On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Ken Hilton wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I added a post earlier today in hopes someone might know right off
> > > hand why the Ruby progam I've written was not functioning as
> > > expected.  I didn't have a lot to go on, nor to share so someone
> > > could advise me.  So, I spent some time stripping my problem child
> > > down to its bare minimum and the problem is persisting.  Can
> > > anyone explain to my why this little program seems to block DRb
> > > from responding to calls when a thread in the same app has called
> > > gets()?  Here's the code & instructions.  Thanks in advance for
> > > any insight you can provide.  I hope to return the favor in the
> > > future.

All messages signed with fingerprint:
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--OBd5C1Lgu00Gd/Tn

--OBd5C1Lgu00Gd/Tn--