On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Aristarkh A Zagorodnikov wrote:

> > Before I try and start pushing Ruby for all my project work I would love
> > to see DBI/RDBC done.

> > Unfortunately my C/low level programming skills aren't currently good
> > enuf to own it.
> Hmm ... I may help with a bit or two.

If you look at the current RDBC implementation and drivers (on the RAA),
they're actually all written in straight ruby, leveraging the existing
ruby bindings to Oracle and Postgres.  Although the overhead isn't ideal,
it would still be a Good Thing to write bridges for the other databases
(MySQL, Interbase, ...) that have ruby modules already, with no need to
muck about in C.

I haven't looked much at the ruby DBI, since it seems to be Windows only
for now, but I don't see why a similar strategy wouldn't work there.

Avi