On Apr 27, 2004, at 01:02, Hal Fulton wrote:

> Dan Janowski wrote:
>> While I know your question is already answered, I just wanted to
>> point out that what you experienced here is tty negotiation. Expect
>> encapsulates all processes in a pty so that you could run the telnet
>> program or anything else and have it work as one would want.
>
> Yes, I found a doc about that (or had it pointed out to me).
>
> I couldn't figure out how to answer successfully, though. It seemed
> trivial, but didn't work for me.
>
> Then I thought: Maybe I can get Net::Telnet to do it for me, and then
> I'll let the connection serve as the socket. That didn't work for me
> either.
>
> For now, I'm just opening sockets onto my little customized server --
> a text adventure that currently has only five rooms.  :)

Writing your own server is much easier and also more secure, not that
clear text is anything to brag about.

I had to write an expect program (I'm a long time TCL programmer) the
other day and was thinking about how nice it would be to have
ExpectRuby. It is pretty great to run sub-processes in a pty.

Dan