At 04:09 27/04/2004 +0900, you wrote:
>Cameron Laird wrote:
>
>- If you like Perl, you'll like Ruby.  If you think Perl is a bletcherous
>hack, you'll like Python.
>- The Python community dwarfs the Ruby community.
>- Both languages are slow.
>- Python has lotsa libraries but not everything.  Ask here regarding your
>specific needs.  Even if Python were the most elegant language in the world,
>that's not useful if you must write everything from scratch and don't have
>time to do it.
><...>
>Cheers,                     www.indiegamedesign.com
>Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

I agree.

- If you like Smalltalk semantic, you'll like Ruby (they are similar)
- If you don't like Smalltalk syntax, you'll like Ruby's one (less weird)

Now, about performance and librairies: There has been some talk on this
list about something very promising, but proprietary so far, that's the
component model of (Microsoft supported but Ecma endorsed) CLI (.NET).

That beast helps a lot to reuse component X in language Y from language
Z. There is a Ruby/.NET bridge already: http://www.saltypickle.com/RubyDotNet
but I am yet to evaluate it. Components is the major event of the last
10 years in industrial software (OO was for the previous decade).

I am developing a large piece of software in Ruby and I am betting that
by the time it is released:
   - There will be a solution to speed things in Ruby (without C coding)
   - Some component framework will be available cross-platform.

On the other hand, if I were to release today... I suppose Groovy&Java
would have been a safer choice.

Yours,

Jean-Hugues