On Apr 26, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Christian Kaiser wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have not found something that tells me whether I can distribute the
> Ruby
> DLL with a freeware of my own. Could someone please help me whether I
> would
> need to tell the users that they need to install the whole package, or
> whether it's enough to include the ruby (1.8 or 1.6) DLL in my setup.

You can view the copyright notice that is distributed with ruby from
cvs:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ruby/COPYING?
rev=1.1.1.2.6.4;content-type=text%2Fplain

The breakdown is, that you can either distribute Ruby via GPL or Ruby's
own license, detailed in the file. IANAL, but it appears that Ruby's
license will allow what you are wanting to do. However...

IIRC, Ruby's original regexp engine is GPL'd... If, however, you
compile it to use Onigurama instead, there should be no problem from
that end. I think any version of Ruby 1.6.x and up can be compiled to
use Onigurama instead of the original engine.

HTH,
--Mark