On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Hal Fulton wrote:

> Pe, Botp wrote:
> > Dave Thomas [mailto:dave / pragprog.com] humbly replied:

> >>Perhaps because hashes aren't ordered, and the common
> >>semantics of "<<"
> >>implies order.
> >

> > Yes, you're right sir Dave, but that is an old notion.
> > I much prefer
> >
> > hash << "x"=>2
> >
> > rather than
> >
> > hash["x"] = 2
> >
> > The latter uses "[]" notation, wc is used for arrays, wc implies order,
> > right?
>
> Well, perhaps we should either enable it for Hash or disable it
> for Set.

i like '<<' because you just bounce on the dang key to type it - this, IMHO,
is the single best thing about c--.  i'm glad ruby has it and we should use it
more.

> But then, pushing hash is illegal in most countries.

i'm glad someone said that - that subject jumped of the screen at me more than
the one about lesbians earlier this week!  i never knew lesbians were into
programming...  of course, if you google for them they seem to be into most
everything?  where do they find the time?

-a