On Apr 22, 2004, at 21:34, Its Me wrote:

> "Dave Thomas" <dave / pragprog.com> wrote
>> Could someone tell me what this bug is??
>
> Not sure if this is related.
>
> I just ran "rdoc -R" on my ruby/lib directory on Windows 2k (with
> rexml,
> log4r, rbbr, foxtails, fox, borges installed in site_ruby, and the
> default
> 1.8.1 set elsewhere) . The standard pragprog build from January-ish.

Clearly there are some memory issues here: RDoc builds its data
structures in memory, then writes everything out at the end. This helps
it knit everything together. It could work incrementally, but then it
would be so good with libraries such as rational and mathn that modify
other classes.

Fundamentally, RDoc was never designed to run against all the .rb files
on a disk: I intended it to document the library files with external
interfaces, so the assumptions made let it work with 100's of .rb
files, but not 1000's.

Unfortunately, in the Windows world, the current distributions don't
have the RDoc documentation installed, and at the same time they don't
distribute the Ruby source that can be used to generate them. This is a
frustrating for us all: I'm proud of RDoc/ri, and I've put (literally)
many, many months of work into the tool and into adding documentation
to the Ruby core files. I'd like to see it "just work."

Running it against lib/ really isn't the answer. You'll get some useful
stuff documented, but you'll also document a whole lot of cruft:
private helper files and non-external APIs. The real answer, I'm
afraid, is patience. In a few days I'm sure we'll see a distribution
with a working ri command. In the meantime, Curt has kindly posted a
URL for the ri documentation files generated for a 1.8 distribution.

Cheers

Dave