Hello Zachary,

Thursday, April 22, 2004, 12:24:46 AM, you wrote:

ZPL> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 07:04:07AM +0900, Chris Dutton wrote:
>> Zachary P. Landau wrote:
>> >I think one thing people like about PHP is it comes with a lot of
>> >built-in functions for dealing with Web-related problems.  It might be
>> >an interesting project for someone to make a list of common PHP
>> >functions used in web developments, with their Ruby equivalent
>> >(including what library it comes from).
>>
>> Or even going a step farther, create a module that's nothing but
>> wrappers around those methods/classes.
>>
>> require "php-transition"
>>
>> plain = base64_decode(source)
>> # actually is:
>> # plain = Base64::decode64(source)
>>
>> Though I have a feeling that having both PHP and Ruby targetting Parrot
>> would make this significantly easier, as long as the PHP functions are
>> implemented in a modular way.

ZPL> As helpful as that may be to people, one of PHPs major problems (as
ZPL> someone mentioned) is namespaces.  I would hate to bring that over to
ZPL> Ruby.  It would be better to teach people to do it properly.

This is not the major problem of PHP. The major problem is that you
always start with an empty universe and must reread all data on each
page.

In Ruby you have also a really huge namespace problem comming from the
fact that library developer A adds some feature here and there, for
example some nice string tokenizer called "fast_tokenizer" etc. and
developer B does the same with his version.

So PHP has one namespace problem which is so obvious that people try
to avoid this by using prefixes. It is hard to explain the same
problem to ruby developers.

--
Best regards,