On Thursday, April 22, 2004, 4:44:09 AM, Its wrote:

> "Dave Thomas" <dave / pragprog.com> wrote...

>> The real solution here is for the folks who bundle the installation to
>> run RDoc before creating the bundle, and then include the generated
>> documentation directories as part of the distributed bundle.

> Any good way to handle libraries added on by each user after the
> "installation"?  Should we hope that each of those library authors runs rdoc
> before distributing, and that their "install" scripts move all the doc stuff
> around to the right places? Or that they at include the .document control
> file?

> This part may be harder to count on; what would you suggest for rdoc'ing
> those cases?

If you install a package as a gem, you can get the RDoc installed.
Then you can view it.  Example:

  # Download and install log4r, latest version.

  $ gem -i log4r --gen-rdoc

  # Run documentation browser.

  $ gem_server

  # Now open your browser to http://localhost:8808 and you will see
  # your installed gems and can view their RDoc output.

It doesn't answer your question directly, but I hope it gives you a
taste of the future :)

Gavin