--Uu2n37VG4rOBDVuR

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 07:04:07AM +0900, Chris Dutton wrote:
> Zachary P. Landau wrote:
> >I think one thing people like about PHP is it comes with a lot of
> >built-in functions for dealing with Web-related problems.  It might be
> >an interesting project for someone to make a list of common PHP
> >functions used in web developments, with their Ruby equivalent
> >(including what library it comes from).
>
> Or even going a step farther, create a module that's nothing but
> wrappers around those methods/classes.
>
> require "php-transition"
>
> plain = base64_decode(source)
> # actually is:
> # plain = Base64::decode64(source)
>
> Though I have a feeling that having both PHP and Ruby targetting Parrot
> would make this significantly easier, as long as the PHP functions are
> implemented in a modular way.

As helpful as that may be to people, one of PHPs major problems (as
someone mentioned) is namespaces.  I would hate to bring that over to
Ruby.  It would be better to teach people to do it properly.

--
Zachary P. Landau <kapheine / hypa.net>
GPG: gpg --recv-key 0x24E5AD99 | http://kapheine.hypa.net/kapheine.asc

--Uu2n37VG4rOBDVuR