On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, rolo wrote:

> What is Iowa?

Iowa is a framework that was originally written a couple of years ago by
Avi Bryant.  He worked on it for a while before abandoning it to work on
his next generation framework, Seaside, on SmallTalk.

I've been using and developing on it for about two years.  I use the heck
out of it and have made a lot of changes from where Avi left it.

Basically, it's a system that seperates content from code, handles
sessions and variable transfer and all of that server side, represents
content as objects which are components that can be placed inside of other
components to build web pages, letting one create reusable widgets.  My
site, http://enigo.com, is done using Iowa.  The navigation on the left is
a single component, as an example.

I have in the CVS at RubyForge code that is very close to what I am
running in production, but haven't done a release yet because I really
hate the thought of releasing while my documentation still sucks.  I'm
trying very hard to finish the docs up ASAP, though, at least enough so
that someone checking it out has some help.

Oh, it runs just fine on Ruby 1.6.7 and up.  It might run on 1.6.4, too,
but I have never tested that.

I have to run; need to take my daughter to something.  If you have any
more questions, I can follow up later.

Kirk Haines