What is Iowa?

rolo

-----Original Message-----
From: Kirk Haines [mailto:khaines / enigo.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 1:43 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Cc: usenets_remote_this / earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Is Ruby is better than PHP ...

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Lothar Scholz wrote:

> If you must host 100 users on a 2,0 GHz Pentium with 1 GB RAM, you
> don't have real a choice: you must use PHP.

Not necessarily.  I run a very large, busy site consisting of around 250
dynamically generated pages of content using Iowa with a process size of
around 14-16Mb in size.

My personal business site is smaller, but has about 50 dynamically
generated pages served out of a process that runs around 5Mb in size.

The devil is in the details, but I am pretty confident that I could
support 100 sites on a 2.0 Ghz Intel server with 1GB of ram, if they were
all using Iowa to drive their dynamic content.

Kirk Haines