On Apr 21, 2004, at 11:19, John W. Kennedy wrote:

> Part 1 is to chdir \Ruby\bin and delete the five *.bat files
>
> Part 2 is to (still in \Ruby\bin) rename ri to ri.rb, rdoc to rdoc.rb,
> erb to erb.rb, irb to irb.rb, and testrb to testrb.rb.

John:

This is great stuff. I'll leave the stuff above to Curt & co, who are
doing the installer. The following it probably not what you want to do,
though:

> Part 3 is to chdir to \Ruby\lib and execute rdoc -R
>
> Unfortunately, that part is still broken, and will eventually crash.
> But it will leave you better off than you were before.

RDoc should really be run in the Ruby source tree, not in the installed
libraries. The reasons are twofold. First, doing this means you won't
document the stuff in the .c file, which includes extensions and (even
worse) the built-in classes (like String). Second, you _will_ document
a lot of extraneous stuff that shouldn't really be included. The reason
is that many librry include a boatload of helper files. These typically
are internal, and have no meaningful user-level interface. However, If
you just run RDoc on the lib/ directory, you'll pick them all up.

In the source tree, however, there are control files (call .document)
that direct RDoc, telling what to include and what to exclude.

The real solution here is for the folks who bundle the installation to
run RDoc before creating the bundle, and then include the generated
documentation directories as part of the distributed bundle.

Cheers

Dave