Linus Sellberg wrote:
> John W. Kennedy wrote:
> 
>> Linus Sellberg wrote:
>>
>>> It works if you delete the .bat's and run rdoc -f ri in the correct 
>>> directory. Istalling the latest version broke ri for me until I 
>>> remembered to remove the bat :)
>>
>> Well you can't _just_ remove the *.bat files.  You have to rename
>> the corresponding files *.rb, too.
> 
> 
> No, I didn't have to rename any .rb files. They worked with no 
> modification for me.

Well I changed the content for those files, so as to match where 
rdoc.rb, ri.rb and ruby itself are located on my machine.

My guess about whats wrong with the installer, is the way these files 
are generated (or tailored). In the more recent versions there were some 
strange path names hardwired into the .rb and .bat files. Paths that 
certainly don't exist on my PC.
I imagine that things were working some thing like this:
- Template file were packed in the installer with some kind
   of mark up (XML tags or %%REPLACE_ME_WITH_A_VALUE%% varialbles or
   whatever)
- During installation the installer replaced these tags,
   with the concrete value(s)...
   Note that the 'root directory' into wich all the files are
   copied is known as late as install time (the user might decide
   to have Ruby installed into some obscure non-standard place, or
   wants to install more than one version side by side)
- ...and copies the tailored files to their target directory

Now, if for any reason these place holders were replaced by
concrete values in the template files, any tailoring would be
lost of course.

As the sources of the installer are available at rubyforge (as I 
recall), I might have a look into this later this week.

Happy rubying (anyway)

Stephan

Now, you can give a path to where Ruby shall be installed, so _if_ the 
absolute path information of those *.rb and *.bat files _is_ neccessary, 
the installer will have to set up those paths during install time.
So what I think might has happened, is that at some point in time the 
variable name tags (something like %%RUBY_ROOT%% or some kind of XML tag 
or whatever...) got lost (replaced by some concrete path) in the sources 
from which the 'real' programs were generated.