Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Charles Comstock wrote:
>

>>As a side note on implementation, is there a particular reason you chose
>>to use filelocking when something like drb would allow you to do thread
>>atomic gets across a network without necessarily having shared disk
>>space?  Let alone a shared tuplespace which does even more fun things
>>for you?
>

> Because I using this for (reading and) writing the config file which
> tells other processes where to find my DRb server, not wanting to
> open things up so widely by having a Ring server (which I don't
> fully understand yet anyway)...
>
>>Charlie
>>

>         Hugh

Yea I don't understand Ring servers either, I wish someone would explain
them.  Is it doing a portscan or something, I just don't follow how it
magically finds the Ringer server.

You could of course have a single config/reader writer server of course,
but I understand why that might be excessive.

My most recent DRb app does use shared home dirs for reading the server
location, but other than that I try to avoid that and send more over the
wire.  I guess it justs feels more portable that way.  It's a fun little
project though, a client/agent/server for running a programming contest,
but ensuring that each contestee is not sharing cpu power with other
contest members by running there code in my userspace on there machine.
Works pretty slick, and is only about 250 lines of code total.  It's a
project I wouldn't even undertake in another language, but in ruby it's
a snap.

Charlie