I've got a few situations where i'm selecting a parent child
relationship with a join. I'm looking for an elegant way of iterating
through the children. Using the join, the parent table data is redundant
when there are muliple children.

for example, some pseudo code:
db.select_all('select * from parent,child where parent.id =
child.idParent') .each do |r|
    if this_parent_id = old_parent_id
       #must be a child, or first parent
       paint_child
   else
        paint_new_parent
#or this.
db.select_all('select id from parent').each do |r|
    paint_parent
    db.select_all('select * from child where idParent = ?,r['id']).each
do |r|
       paint_parent

Neither of these is elegant or efficient. Does anyone have a more ruby
way of  working with a db parent/child relationship?

:Paul