On Wednesday 07 April 2004 4:34 pm, Its Me wrote:
> > >     x.foo ( arg )
> >
> > As I recall, the warning was added in 1.8 because that sort of style was
>
> being
>
> > deprecated.
>
> I hope that's not the case. I'd rather be told it is a limitation in the
> current parser or some such.
>
> It's hard to argue that
>     x.foo( y.bar( z.baz )))
> makes better reading breaks for the eye than
>     x.foo ( y.bar ( z.baz )))

Personally, I don't see much of a difference. That's me, though.

There's also the issue that adding a space can mean different things. For
example:

	def foo(lst)
		p lst
		lst
	end

	foo(1..5).to_a.reverse  #=> prints 1..5

	foo (1..5).to_a.reverse #=> prints [5, 4, 3, 2, 1]

The Ruby interpreter handles everything I can currently come up with correctly
(from my point of view), so I don't think it's an interpreter issue.  The
parser can figure out what happens unambiguously, but it may be ambiguous to
a human (the second foo above seems ambiguous to me unless you specify that
all parentheses must immediately follow function calls if you're using them).

Cheers.

- Dan