Wrote "Mehr, Assaph (Assaph)" <assaph / avaya.com>, on Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 04:30:34PM +0900:

> > I just noticed that accented letters like טאיעשל (actually, if someone
> > can see them correctly in this message, either)
> > are not matched by /[a-z]/ or \w on windows.
>
> > I've not tryed on *nix with proper locale set, but I wonder if,
> > anyway, there is something special I should do to allow this kind of
> > special letters to be matched as letters.

Are you sure you want to do this?

In latin languages, like french, you can strip the accents, and you have
basically the same pronunciation (though my girlfriend doesn't agree,
but my pronounciation of her language is so heavily accented anyhow, I
can't seeing it matter). But, there are other languages where a
character with an accent is a *completely* different vowel. I can't
recall the details, but one of the northern European languages famously
has its two most common vowels (think "e" and "o" in english)
distinguished by an accent. English speakers (myself included!) tend to
strip all accents while reading, assuming they are some kind of fine
detail, just a small modification of the basic sound, but that's not
true in a number of languages.

Cheers,
Sam

--