On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 01:30:34AM +0900, Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2004, at 10:20, David King Landrith wrote:
> >Is there any way to access the name of a given variable instance from
> >within it?  In other words, for any object x, is there C function to
> >which I can pass self to determine that the program calls it 'x'?
>
> You have the file name and line number, and you may even have the file
> itself in SCRIPT_LINES, so you could cheat and find the name from that.
>
> I'm interested in tis experiment: how often does it catch a problem
> that you didn't catch though unit testing? Putting that another way:
> how often do you see these type errors in testing, and how often in
> production?

This looks like a restricted version of Eivind Eklund's types.rb. Here's
what the author had to say about it:

"The reason I didn't do any particularly public release of it was
that I found that adding type checks to ruby programs were worse
than useless for me - it got in the way of my refactoring, without
catching many bugs."

See http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/84841.

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

"You, sir, are nothing but a pathetically lame salesdroid!
I fart in your general direction!"
	-- Randseed on #Linux