On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Its Me wrote:

> Why is Borges (or Seaside) coupled to an html/browser interface?
>
> It seems that the Component model (composable logical 'panes' with
> application logic) and the modelessness and free 'Back' button
> functionality, could both be useful outside the context of an HTML browser.

I would guess it's mostly because HTML is the most obvious and immediate
use so that is where the effort has gone.

I've thought a lot about the feasibility of using Iowa as a content engine
for non-HTML content.  In my case, for use as an engine to generate
on-demand email with custom content.  In a lot of ways it seems like a
good fit.  From what I know of Borges/Seaside, the same goes for them,
only probably moreso because there is that concept of a renderer that
actually produces the content.  Borges/Seaside is not so well suited to
the task of generating single chunks of dynamic content, but I think
they'd be pretty well suited to the kind of thing you are talking about.
Use a different renderer layer and the web/browser based application could
instead be a GUI application in its own right?

Eric?  Avi?  Thoughts?

Kirk Haines