Matthew Lipper wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> I've been busier than a one-legged man at an ass-kicking contest, so
> apologies if this has been covered in the five days worth of posts I
> just speed-read...
>
> Charles Comstock <cc1 / cec.wustl.edu> wrote in message news:<c4dcmk$lcr$1 / newsreader.wustl.edu>...
>
>>Is there a nice library for representing Time differences?
>

> Well, there's definitely an ugly one:
>
> http://runt.rubyforge.org/doc/classes/Runt/DateRange.html
>
> in Runt. DateRange enhances the default Date/DateTime/Range
> functionality to include the ability to iterate through a date range
> using various level of precision (hour, minute, etc.)
>
> It does this in cooperation with
>
> http://runt.rubyforge.org/doc/classes/Runt/DatePrecision.html
>
> and
>
> http://runt.rubyforge.org/doc/classes/Runt/TimePoint.html
>

> Code is ugly and/or incomplete, documentation is sparse and you should
> use CVS HEAD if at all possible.
>
> When I have a free moment, I am going to act upon some insightful
> suggestions [1] regarding the syntactic conventions used in Runt; at
> that point I will release a more Ruby-esque implementation...
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt
>
> [1] See:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&th=b25def0bd29d9899&seekm=74559ebc.0403250743.271dfe53%40posting.google.com#link14
>
> BTW: Thank you Hal, Mauricio, and Mark! Hal, double thanks, for the
> correspondence!

Hmm, perhaps I scanned it too quickly, but this feels more like a
library to manipulate date ranges, as opposed to formatting a time span.
  Basically I want to be able to represent time spans in a more
meaningful manner then individual seconds.  I know all I need to do is
do a bunch of divide / modulus operations to find this out, but I was
wondering if there was a prewritten module to nicely format time spans
and allow easy access to the number of months, days, hours, seconds in
between to time or date objects.

Charles Comstock