>>Under what
>>circumstances would mutiny be a better choice than forking?  I would
>>generally rather see projects removed than usurped.
>
> Most circumstances, imo.
>
> Teh thing about libraries is that they become known due to reputation,
> which tends to spread through both w.o.m. and personal experience.

What is the same, had better keep the same name to prevent confusion.
What is note the same, or destined to become something else, should take
another name.

I very much agree with you (other posting) that you want to catch
*certain* kinds of dormant projects.

---

I am however opposed to taking over a project in a few days
(the term Tom Copeland suggested).

I know some parts of this world have two weeks holiday per year, but I
disappear every now and then for about three weeks, regular holiday (and
if it is up to me, that will only be longer in the future). There will
always be people that know I'm gone, especially other members of my
projects, if there are other members. But still.

The Software we're talking about, by its very nature, is written in
people's free time, for no compensation but the scratching of their own
itch, can be left alone for extended periods of time for many reasons.
That doesn't mean it's ditched, so don't go about assuming that.

After the question is raised about a project being dead, you'll have to
wait for, dunno, half a year? more? to give the owner time to respond.

I know I would be extremely pissed if I find a project of mine taken over
when I return from a holiday.

Bye,
Kero.

PS: this all of course within reason; if there's enough comments from
other people that are supposed to know, don't seem to have a grudge, etc,
etc, then there is no problem handing over a project to someone else on
shorter term. But this would be the secondary way of handling it, not the
primary.

PS2: Tools like bitkeeper are probably an easier way to keep separate
repositories than CVS, allowing projects to evolve without
explicitely forking or taking over. Note that I am not expecting rubyforge
to switch to that (unless money can be raised for that somehow?).

|  all the meaningless and empty words I spoke      |
|                      Promises -- The Cranberries  |
+--- M38c --- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+