On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Minero Aoki wrote:

> [ruby-dev:23220] Ruby module
>
>   Nobuyoshi Nakada proposed a new module `Ruby' and to move RUBY_*
>   constants in it  e.g. Ruby::VERSION, Ruby::RELEASE_DATE.
>   Matz said that he does not like this idea (Ruby module) very much.

i like this idea.  i could be a place to do things like

  Ruby::EXCUTABLE       # '/usr/local/bin/ruby-1.8.1/bin/ruby'

  Ruby::gem? 'session'  # true

  Ruby::pthread?        # false

etc.

i mean you could put common/distilled things from rbconfig plus info about
things which were added later - methods about installed packages or someting

> [ruby-dev:23247] IO#readpartial
>
>   TANAKA Akira suggested a new method IO#readpartial, which is
>   a better sysread() implementation supporting stdio buffer and
>   avoiding troubles due to non-blocking I/O.

this would be an awesome addition to the stdlib - i need this at least once
per week...

-a