Hi all,

This is a summary of ruby-dev ML in these days.

[ruby-dev:23212] warning: fork terminates thread

  See the following example:

    % ruby-1.8.1 -e 'Thread.start{sleep 1}; fork'
    -e:1: warning: fork terminates thread at -e:1

  This warning is produced to notice feature change of #fork in Ruby 1.8.

  TANAKA Akira requested to disable this warning because the warnings
  could occured at outside of my codes, such like external libraries
  using #fork in it.  Matz agreed with him.

[ruby-dev:23220] Ruby module

  Nobuyoshi Nakada proposed a new module `Ruby' and to move RUBY_*
  constants in it  e.g. Ruby::VERSION, Ruby::RELEASE_DATE.
  Matz said that he does not like this idea (Ruby module) very much.

[ruby-dev:23221] English alias

  Nobuyoshi Nakada suggested to make English.rb built-in.
  Matz noted that `$' variables should be obsoleted, not utilized.

  NOTE: recommended style to access `$' variables

    $!         rescue => err
    $"         ?
    $$         Process.pid
    $~         Regexp.last_match
    $&         Regexp.last_match[0]
    $`         Regexp.last_match.pre_match
    $'         Regexp.last_match.pre_match
    $+         Regexp.last_match[-1]
    $*         ARGV
    $?         Process.waitpid2(pid)[1]
    $@         rescue => err; err.backtrace
    $/         (obsolete?)
    $\         (obsolete?)
    $0         ?
    $1,$2...   Regexp.last_match[n]
    $:         $LOAD_PATH
    $;         (obsolete?)
    $<         ARGF
    $=         (obsolete)
    $>         $stdout in Ruby 1.8, $defout in Ruby 1.6
    $,         (obsolete?)
    $.         ARGF.lineno

[ruby-dev:23247] IO#readpartial

  TANAKA Akira suggested a new method IO#readpartial, which is
  a better sysread() implementation supporting stdio buffer and
  avoiding troubles due to non-blocking I/O.

-- Minero Aoki
ruby-dev summary index:
http://i.loveruby.net/en/ruby-dev-summary.html