On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 06:04, Gawnsoft wrote:
> RAA & RubyForge initiatives going dormant is not uncommon.
>
> Do either of these have facilities for 'dormancy' checking, and
> automatic advertising for new hands at the helm of a given project?

RubyForge doesn't at the moment.

> Perhaps the sites could send an e-mail to the nominal project manager
> after a period of dormancy*, and if they hear nothing back, could put
> up an ad saying 'new PM wanted for this project'?
>
> * and this could be defined by the PM, up to a maximum of, say, 9
> months.

The tricky part might be defining what "dormant" means - no commits?  No
downloads?

I think the way they do this on SourceForge is that if someone wants to
take over an apparently dormant project and the author is not
responding, they send a note to the site admins and get it sorted out.
This hasn't come up yet on RubyForge, but that's probably how it'd be
handled - someone sends us a note, we post to ruby-talk, no objections
for a couple days, project changes hands.  Something like that.

Yours,

Tom