il 30 Mar 2004 17:55:25 GMT, ptkwt / aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) ha scritto::

>does vfs == "virtual file system" ?

yes

>Meaning that you can access a URL
>just the same way you would access a file on your system?
<snip>

yes I'm aware of open-uri and I do agree it is impressive and useful,
but, it has the problem of just being.. well.. 'open' :)
For example, it does not allow handling of Dir objects out of the local fs.

A true vfs layer should allow stuff like this:
ruby -r vfs -run cp -- -r ~/works/myweb ftp://user:pass@myserver/home/myid/public_html

More, it should allow to us to plug modules to handle
everything like zip, bzip2, sftp and so on.

(I'm not sure tclvfs does this, but I believe it should).

For an example of what I'm talking about take a look at GnomeVFS
(yes, we can use it from ruby :), or at libvfs that is on RAA
(the former example came from that).

I believe something like this in the base distribution would be lovely :)