In article <112914078.20040330014722 / scriptolutions.com>,
Lothar Scholz  <mailinglists / scriptolutions.com> wrote:
>Hello Serve,
>
>Monday, March 29, 2004, 10:04:25 PM, you wrote:
>

>SL> "Lothar Scholz" <mailinglists / scriptolutions.com> wrote in message
>SL> news:41663875.20040328202116 / scriptolutions.com...

>SL> fundamental
>>>
>>> No, there aren't any fundamental difference. From an educational point
>>> they the same, also not different from perl or tcl.
>>> Imperative script languages with OO extensions.
>
>SL> Wasn't python designed with ease of use as top priority? Surely there must
>
>No i don't think that python has such a top priority. It came from a
>mathematical branch of a dutch university. Perl had a top priority in
>extracting data from text files, and TCL had the top goal of making it
>easy to embedd in C applications. Ruby is as useable for extracting
>data as Perl now, but nobody else reached the TCL/TK level of ease of
>embedding, you can do this in 2 lines in TCL but need a few duzend in
>Ruby - thats the reason why TCL is still so popular (a magnitude more
>popular then Ruby) and TCL is in my experience still the most advanced
>scripting language (with the technically best GUI Toolkit) - even
>better then Perl.

TCL the most advanced scripting language and TK 'technically the best GUI
Toolkit'?!  Well I guess YMMV(AL) (Your Milage May Vary (A Lot)) ;-)
There are a lot more features to compare than just "how easy is it to
embed", however, I suppose if that's your only criteria then maybe TCL is
the 'the most advanced scripting language' (for embedding in C programs).

That said, I do like TK's canvas widget in that it can keep track of
what's been drawn on it (and it's also quite easy to convert to
postscript).  but other than that, Tk is showing a lot of age lately,
compared to a lot of the newer toolkits.  I do tend to use Tk more than
any other GUI toolkit, but that's mostly because it's ubiquitous.

Phil