Hello Serve,

SL> "Lothar Scholz" <mailinglists / scriptolutions.com> wrote in message
SL> news:41663875.20040328202116 / scriptolutions.com...
>> Hello Serve,
>>
>> Sunday, March 28, 2004, 3:44:25 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> SL> I'm trying to decide to learn either python or ruby. Are there
SL> fundamental
>> SL> differences between them?
>>
>> No, there aren't any fundamental difference. From an educational point
>> they the same, also not different from perl or tcl.
>> Imperative script languages with OO extensions.

SL> Wasn't python designed with ease of use as top priority? Surely there must

No i don't think that python has such a top priority. It came from a
mathematical branch of a dutch university. Perl had a top priority in
extracting data from text files, and TCL had the top goal of making it
easy to embedd in C applications. Ruby is as useable for extracting
data as Perl now, but nobody else reached the TCL/TK level of ease of
embedding, you can do this in 2 lines in TCL but need a few duzend in
Ruby - thats the reason why TCL is still so popular (a magnitude more
popular then Ruby) and TCL is in my experience still the most advanced
scripting language (with the technically best GUI Toolkit) - even
better then Perl.

SL> be some differences there?
SL> Easier to express things in ruby, more power or
SL> something?

Its just a different flavour, some people like vanilla ice cream, some
like it with a cherry flavour.

--
Best regards,