On Friday, March 26, 2004, 8:06:08 PM, Mark wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2004, at 12:34 AM, gabriele renzi wrote:

>> PS
>> ok, npobody read the other part of my message: some hope to see
>> ri/rdoc stuff, maybe the one up in ruby-doc.org packaged as a gem ?

I'm not sure it's appropriate.  Gems are for code, not for
documentation.  In any case, what you see at ruby-doc.org/stdlib
consists of thousands of files.  A gem spec for that would be
enourmous.

> hmmm, I like that idea. If it could be installed the same way as the
> other documentation, then you could run gem_server and get built-in,
> stdlib, and gem documentation all in one place...

> I understand that in the future, we'll be able to use ri with gems,
> too. That will be very cool.

Yes.  A cool feature would be that you can restrict ri's scope to a
given gem, in order to avoid the massive amount of information it
otherwise has to parse.

That would be easy to implement *if* the ri data for each gem was
generated into a private area.

Cheers,
Gavin